Announcements!

ANNOUNCEMENTS:

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Week of 9/2

HI All,

The first week of science went very well. I learned more about my students and we started using our science process skills to get started in class.

On Tuesday we did the "Are you squeamish?" and "Are you a scientist?" inventories. We then analyzed the data as a group. This helped me learn more about the students better and produced some great questios about the upcoming school year in science class.

On Wednesday we looked at images and tried to describe them in great detail. This was a way of working on our observation and description skills. After mixing them up we then tried to match the team descriptions to the images.



On Thursday we worked with mealworms and observed them and created a notice/wonder t-charts. This allowed us to generate questions that could be reviewed to determine whether they were researchable or investigable. We discussed this at the end of class.

The following slide show shows the kids at work.




On Friday the students conducted a teacher designed investigation to determine if mealworms would be attracted to vinegar, sugar or salt solutions. It involved careful observation and data collection. We will discuss the results on Monday. I hope to have student generated investigations next week along with coverage the topics of "What s life?" and "Abiotic/Biotic factors".

I hope you enjoyed this week! It was a nice start.

Mr. Forde

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

mr forde you are so awesome even though i am a pest this is very funn to do this i am in your adisory and i need help.

you are a mad scientest and thats a goodthing peace

Jim Forde said...

Hey There!

I am glad that you are having fun in science! If you are in my advisory and you need help of any kind please let me know how I can assist you. Don't hesitate to ask for help.

I am not sure about being a mad scientist but I will take that asa complement!


Mr. F :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Mr. Forde,
In biology, my brother looked at masito larva through a microscope. He sayed that it was very interesting. I think we should look
at larva, not just myskito larva, and do a compare and contrast. Hope you like my idea!!!

Anonymous said...

hey mr.forde i really liked the pictures you posted on your blog!! Our advisory is awesome!!!!

Jim Forde said...

I love the compare and contrast idea about different larva!

Lets talk about that some more.

Mr. f :-)

Budly said...

Hey Mr. Ford,
I really liked the meal worm experiment, i cant wait to do many more fun experiments in your class.
Hannah

Anonymous said...

I had a great time on the bio-blitz. I had a fun time identifing the insects. We found alot of new species of insects. It was very intresting.

Sam Brodie